The congregation of Terrace Row traces its history back
to 1796, when Seceders one of several strands of Irish
Presbyterianism, formed a congregation meeting for
worship on a site now occupied by the current Coleraine
Health Centre, Castlerock Road. The present building at
Terrace Row was opened in 1834, but has undergone
significant alteration since that date.
The first minister was a Mr James Hunter, who
ministered from 1796 until his retirement in 1840. The
ministry of his successor the Rev William Magill was
brief (1840-47) and he spent most of his ministry in the
city of Cork, serving as Moderator of the General
Assembly in 1874.
The famous Revival of 1859 took place
during the ministry of the Rev Joseph McDonnell
(1848-1870) and he was succeeded by the Rev (later Dr.)
R.B. Wylie who exercised the longest ministry in the
congregation (1871-1913) and who wrote a history of the
Church’s first 100 years.
|Dr Wylie’s long ministry was
followed by one of short duration. The first
World War broke out in 1914, not long after the
installation of the Rev Gilbert Paton. Mr Paton
volunteered for chaplaincy duties, in which he
distinguished himself, being named in despatches
and winning the Military Cross with two bars. A
drum from the band of the Royal Enniskilling
Fusiliers was left by him in the care of the
congregation and is presently displayed in the
Church vestibule. Shortly after his return to
Terrace Row he received a call to Malone
congregation in Belfast in 1920 where he
ministered until his early death, but not until
becoming one of the youngest Moderators of the
General Assembly in 1931.
|The Rev Edwin George Torrie, son of a
prominent Waterford business family was the next
minister. Noted for his eloquent pulpit prayers, Mr
Torrie ministered to the congregation for over 34 years,
from 1920 until 1954.
|In the vacancy which resulted on Mr Torrie’s retirement, the
congregation called the Rev J Edgar P Boyd, minister of Harryville, Ballymena to
become the new minister in 1954. This ministry of 25 years ended in 1979, when
he and Mrs Boyd retired to Ballyrobert near Ballyclare where they still reside.
Dr David Clarke, was installed in September 1980, having previously served as
minister of Templepatrick congregation. Dr Clarke retired in January 2012 after
over 31 years of active ministry in Terrace Row.
|In January 2013 the congregation called Rev Andrew W. T. Brown, minister of Churchtown
(Tamlagh O'Crilly) to be our new minister. Rev Brown was ordained in
1993 and served in Churchtown for over 17 years.